Thursday, August 27, 2009

Visual Acuity- 20/20

Last night while we are having dinner, my daughter and I had a chat. Because she normally took long time to finished her meal I had to monitor and follow-up every single scoop. It was fun though, coz’ I had the chance to chat with her and catch up about school and other activities. During our discussion I happened to share with her those children with eyesight problem. How troublesome to wear spectacle and that was sometimes due to their stubbornness. How she should treasure her health and perfect eyesight. What are the kinds of food she should take to boost the eyesight or at least prevent the degradation.
Here’s how the conversation goes:
Daughter: Why they have eyesight problem?
Mommy: Sometimes due to their genes and most of the time because they abuse their eyes
Daughter: What is genes means? How did they abuse their eyes?
Mommy: Genes means genetic or inherited eyesight problem from mother or father….and abusing was of disobeying their parents…..(I have to think the example…heheh….) like playing PSP or computer games in the dark specially when they are hiding from the parents…
Daughter: Ah, what is inherited means?……
Mommy: oh, it means the mother or father has history of eyesight or health problem….pra lang maputol na….
Daughter: So what is the eyesight of that girl?
Mommy: 500
Daughter: Why she have 500 vision, how about me?
Mommy: my eyesight at this age is still 20/20, so I think you’re vision could be probably the same. (this time I want to cut off the conversation, but then she asked the next question.
Daughter: What is 20/20 means? Maybe I am 30/30, I mean my vision…
Mommy: hehehe…..i really laugh very loud this time……do you have other questions?
Daughter: no, what is 20/20 why not 2/2 or 4/4?
Mommy: ok, I only know that 20/20 is a perfect vision, meaning you do not need to wear spectacle. If a child has 20/400 it means she has vision loss issue. Later I will show you the video how did they treat a person with eyesight problem using laser….
Daughter: ah ok, I am so excited to see
Mommy: Thank God…..she was satisfied with my answer, otherwise I have to explained what exactly is vision acuity means…..

No comments: